Recipe by Irmgard
This dessert is a little work to make but well worth it. Chilling time is included in the cooking time.
Chocolate Sponge Cake
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 cups strawberries, 1/2 sliced, the rest left whole
- 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 2 egg whites
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 cup strawberry, whole
- 2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, melted
Directions See How It's Made
- For the cake: In a bowl, beat the eggs until foamy; gradually beat in the sugar.
- Beat for 5 to 8 minutes or until the batter falls in ribbons when the beaters are lifted.
- Beat in the vanilla.
- Stir together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt; sift half over the egg mixture and fold in .
- Fold in the remaining flour mixture.
- Remove one-quarter of the batter to a small bowl; gradually fold in the butter.
- Gradually fold back into the batter.
- Scrape into a greased 8-1/2" springform pan.
- Bake in a 325°F oven for 40 minutes or until the cake springs back when lightly pressed.
- Let cool in the pan for 20 minutes.
- Turn out onto a rack and let cool completely.
- For the filling: In a bowl over hot (not boiling) water, melt the chocolate; let cool to room temperature, stirring occasionally.
- In a large bowl, whip the cream; set 2 cups aside for the strawberry mousse.
- Fold half of the remaining cream into the chocolate; fold in the remaining cream.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff but not dry peaks form; fold into the chocolate mixture.
- In a food processor, puree 1 cup of strawberries with the sugar; fold into the reserved whipped cream.
- To assemble the cake: Place a 8-1/2" springform pan without its base on a cake plate.
- Cut some waxed paper into a 10" x 3" strip; fit the collar around the inside of the ring.
- Fit the sponge cake into the pan.
- Slice 1 cup of strawberries; arrange half over the cake.
- Pour on top of the strawberries the chocolate mousse, smoothing the top.
- Arrange the remaining strawberries over the mousse.
- Pour the strawberry mousse over the second strawberry layer, smoothing the top.
- Cover lightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate until set, about 2 hours.
- Before serving, remove the plastic wrap, springform side and collar from the cake.
- Dip the whole strawberries into the melted chocolate and arrange around the top edge of the cake.
- Serve immediately.