1/2 Photos of Chocolate Strawberry Mousse Cake
2 hrs 40 mins
This dessert is a little work to make but well worth it. Chilling time is included in the cooking time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
Chocolate Sponge Cake
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 cups strawberries, 1/2 sliced, the rest left whole
- 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 2 egg whites
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1For the cake: In a bowl, beat the eggs until foamy; gradually beat in the sugar.
- 2Beat for 5 to 8 minutes or until the batter falls in ribbons when the beaters are lifted.
- 3Beat in the vanilla.
- 4Stir together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt; sift half over the egg mixture and fold in .
- 5Fold in the remaining flour mixture.
- 6Remove one-quarter of the batter to a small bowl; gradually fold in the butter.
- 7Gradually fold back into the batter.
- 8Scrape into a greased 8-1/2" springform pan.
- 9Bake in a 325°F oven for 40 minutes or until the cake springs back when lightly pressed.
- 10Let cool in the pan for 20 minutes.
- 11Turn out onto a rack and let cool completely.
- 12For the filling: In a bowl over hot (not boiling) water, melt the chocolate; let cool to room temperature, stirring occasionally.
- 13In a large bowl, whip the cream; set 2 cups aside for the strawberry mousse.
- 14Fold half of the remaining cream into the chocolate; fold in the remaining cream.
- 15In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff but not dry peaks form; fold into the chocolate mixture.
- 16In a food processor, puree 1 cup of strawberries with the sugar; fold into the reserved whipped cream.
- 17To assemble the cake: Place a 8-1/2" springform pan without its base on a cake plate.
- 18Cut some waxed paper into a 10" x 3" strip; fit the collar around the inside of the ring.
- 19Fit the sponge cake into the pan.
- 20Slice 1 cup of strawberries; arrange half over the cake.
- 21Pour on top of the strawberries the chocolate mousse, smoothing the top.
- 22Arrange the remaining strawberries over the mousse.
- 23Pour the strawberry mousse over the second strawberry layer, smoothing the top.
- 24Cover lightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate until set, about 2 hours.
- 25Before serving, remove the plastic wrap, springform side and collar from the cake.
- 26Dip the whole strawberries into the melted chocolate and arrange around the top edge of the cake.
- 27Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate Strawberry Mousse Cake
Serving Size: 1 (157 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 298.3
- Calories from Fat 207
- Total Fat 23.0 g
- Saturated Fat 13.8 g
- Cholesterol 137.8 mg
- Sodium 100.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 13.5 g
- Protein 4.7 g