Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This recipe is from the executive pastry chef, Thomas Haas, of the Senses Bakery in Vancouver. The Vancouver Sun proclaimed it "the best cookie in the world." I just baked it this morning and had it with my morning coffee...it's like heaven...tastes like a baked truffle! Cooking time is chilling time.
- Melt the chocolate in the top of a double boiler set over, but not touching, simmering water.
- Remove from the heat.
- Cut the butter into a few pieces and mix into the chocolate until melted.
- Beat the eggs with an electric mixer, gradually adding the sugar until ribbons form (about 4 minutes on medium-high).
- Fold in the chocolate-butter mixture.
- Gently add the ground almonds.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Heat the oven to 325 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Use a cookie scoop to form the dough into 1-inch balls.
- Roll the balls in granulated sugar, place on the baking sheet about 2 inches apart and immediately place in the oven.
- Bake until the center of the cookies is no longer wet, 9 to 12 minutes.
- When slightly cool, lightly dust the cookies with powdered sugar.