Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This is a wonderful cake layered inside twice with a delicious streusel filling.
Top Review by evelyn/athens
I have to give this cake a lower star count because it's not all there and it set me in a quandry the day I made it as I had made up the streusel and was good to go when I saw that the number of eggs hadn't been listed in the ingredients list. I decided to use 3 XL eggs, and everything seemed fine as the cake baked up nice and high, but did fall considerably after I removed it from the oven. Another thing is the streusel, I would just put the entire amount in the centre of the cake. The part I put at the top of the cake pan (which would become the bottom once the cake was overturned) just didn't get covered by baking batter or bake in, and most fell off during the actual over-turning. This is a very tasty cake though, just needs a bit of work to get 'right'.
- 1 cup butter or 1 cup margarine, softened
- 2 1⁄2 cups white sugar, divided
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups sour cream
- 1 -2 teaspoon grated lemon, rind of
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- 1⁄2 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 1⁄4 cup good-quality baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine, melted
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and flour a 12-cup fluted tube pan or a 10-inch tube pan.
- In a large bowl, beat butter, 2 cups sugar and eggs until light and fluffy (about 5-6 minutes).
- Add in sour cream, lemon peel lemon juice; beat well until blended (about 2 minutes).
- Sift together flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to the butter mixture, beating well until blended.
- In a bowl, stir together nuts, coconut, cocoa, remaining 1/4 cup sugar and cinnamon; stir in melted butter.
- Pour half of the cake into prepared baking pan; sprinkle with half the nut mixture.
- Carefully spread remaining batter over nut mixture.
- Top with remaining nut mixture.
- Bake for 1 hour or until cake tests done with a toothpick.
- Cool 10 minutes; remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Dust with powdered sugar if desired.