Prep 45 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is a very dense and rich cake, so smaller slices are in order unless you are serving a real chocolate lover such as my son, who can eat 1/4 of the cake in one sitting.
- 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 ounces bittersweet chocolate, melted and cooled
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 1 cup milk
1 recipe of fudgy frosting at bottom
- 12 ounces semisweet chocolate pieces
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 1 lb confectioners' sugar
- Let eggs stand at room temperature 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour two 9-inch round cake pans. Set aside.
- In small bowl combine flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In large bowl beat shortening and sugar on medium speed until combined. Beat in eggs and vanilla until combined. Beat in melted chocolate and sour cream. Alternately add flour mixture and milk; beat on low after each addition just until combined. Spread batter in prepared pans.
- Bake 25 minutes or until tops spring back when lightly touched. Cool on wire racks 10 minutes. Remove from pans; cool.
- Fudgy Frosting:.
- 12 oz. semisweet chocolate pieces.
- 1/2 cup butter.
- 8 oz. carton sour cream.
- 1 lb. confectioner's sugar.
- Prepare Fudgy Frosting: In large pan over low heat, melt and stir semisweet chocolate pieces and butter. Cool 10 minutes. Stir in sour cream. Stir in sifted confectioner's sugar and stir until smooth.
- Then place one layer of cake flat side down on a plate. Spread top with 1 cup frosting. Stack second layer flat side down. Spread with remaining frosting.
I made this on the weekend for DH to take to work for his team's morning tea. Cake & frosting were easy to make. It seemed like sooooo much frosting & I found it kept sliding off the side of the cake. The cake mix & frosting tasted wonderful (I'm a spoon licker, what can I say) & DH reported back that the cake was a huge hit at work. Thanks TasteTester for sharing this winner. Made for Aus/NZ Recipe Swap #15 for the Desert Rose team.