Recipe by Mom2Rose
Gift jar directions at bottom of the recipe - add onto a recipe card and attach to the gift! Or skip the gift making and indulge yourself with this treat!! NOTE: This recipe is to be prepared one QUART size wide mouth canning jar and will yield 12 shortcakes.
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2⁄3 cup cocoa powder
ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS (to be added by the recipient)
- 1 1⁄2 cups buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup solid shortening (Crisco)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Creating the Gift in a Jar:
- Wash and thoroughly dry a 1-quart wide-mouth canning jar.
- Loosely layer the ingredients in the jar as listed above starting with the sugar, cake flour, salt, baking soda and then cocoa powder - making each layer as level as possible without pressing it down.
- Secure the lid and decorate as desired; attach the instructions for making these shortcakes found below.
- CHOCOLATE SHORTCAKES GIFT TAG:
- Additional ingredients to be added by the recipient: 1 1/2 cups buttermilk, 2 eggs, 1/2 cup solid shortening (Crisco) and 1 tsp vanilla extract.
- CHOCOLATE SHORTCAKES INSTRUCTIONS:
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a large bowl, combine the buttermilk, eggs, shortneing and extract; blend with electric mixer set on low speed for 30 seconds.
- Add the contents of the jar and continue to blend for 3 minutes.
- Pour the batter into a greased 9 x 13 baking pan.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool completely in the pan before cutting into 12 squares and topping with strawberries and whipped cream.
- Serve immediately or store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.