Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Pikelets are traditional grilled breads or pancakes from Australia. Here is a dessert version. Serve pikelets warm, topped with yogurt, jam and fresh seasonal fruit.
- 4.92 ml baking soda
- 236.59 ml low-fat milk
- 1 egg
- 44.37 ml sugar or 44.37 ml caster sugar
- 236.59 ml flour
- 29.58 ml cocoa powder
- 9.85 ml cream of tartar
- 0.25 ml salt
- 14.79 ml margarine or 14.79 ml butter, melted
- In a small bowl, dissolve baking soda in milk, set aside.
- In a large bowl Beat egg and sugar together until thick and pale.
- Sift flour, cocoa, cream of tartar and salt together; Fold the dry ingredients into the beaten egg mixture alternating with adding the milk/baking soda mixture; Last, fold in the melted butter just till combined.
- Heat greased frying pan and cook 1-2 tablespoonfuls of the pikelet batter until bubbles appear on the surface; Flip the pikelets to cook on the other side for 1 minute or until golden brown.
Terrible recipe way to much effort for such terrible tasting pike lets :(
These were really great. My daughters loved the chocolate pikelets with strawberry jam and a little whipped cream. We often have reguar pikelets but haven't tried a chocolate version before. A simple budget conscious dessert or even a quick chocolate fix when you cant be bothered going shopping as this recipe uses pantry staples.
Wonderful topped with jam!! I tried one plain, too; wasn't sweet enough for me. Easy to make, and I agree, so pretty!