Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
In 'Tate's Bake Shop: Baking for Friends' by Kathleen King
Make and share this Chocolate-Pear Tea Bread recipe from Food.com.
- 1 3⁄4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons salted butter, at room temperature
- 3⁄4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup applesauce
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 pears, peeled, cored, and diced (Anjou pears, about 2 cups)
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (or chunks)
- Position an oven rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 350°.
- Lightly butter a 9 x 5 x 3 inch loaf pan.
- Line the bottom of the pan with parchment paper or waxed paper.
- In a bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter and brown sugar with an electric mixer set on high speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- One at a time, beat in the eggs, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Mix in the applesauce and vanilla.
- With the mixer on low, gradually beat in the flour mixture; mix just until smooth, scraping down the bowl as needed.
- Fold in the pears and chocolate chips.
- Spread the batter in the prepared pan.
- Bake until a pick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean, about 1 hour.
- Let cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
- Invert the cake onto the rack and unmold.
- Remove the paper, turn the loaf right side up, and let cool completely.