bluemoon downunder's Note:
The second of two Chocoholic Heaven recipes I have posted from a recent issue of the Australian 'Women's Day'. Pears and chocolate and hazelnuts: YUM! What a winning combination! And it takes only 15 minutes to prepare.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 150 g butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 cup hazelnut meal (see Notes)
- 200 g dark chocolate, melted (see Notes)
- 1/2 cup toasted hazelnuts, coarsely chopped
- 2 sheets puff pastry, thawed
- 800 g pear halves in natural juice, drained, sliced thinly
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon raw sugar
- whipped cream, to serve
- 1Preheat oven to hot, 200°C, and lightly grease and line a baking tray.
- 2In a small bowl, using an electric beater, beat the butter and sugar together, until they are light and fluffy; add the egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each egg is added; gently stir in the hazelnut meal, melted chocolate and hazelnuts.
- 3Cut one sheet of pastry into a 22cm x 24cm; and, leaving a 2cm border around all sides, cut 6 even slits across the remaining pastry sheet.
- 4Place the trimmed pastry sheet on the prepared tray, spread with the chocolate mixture, leaving a 2cm border, top evenly with pear slices.
- 5Brush around the border with egg white and place the remaining pastry sheet over the filling, press the edges of the pastry together to seal; brush the jalousie with the remaining egg white and sprinkle with sugar.
- 6Bake for 25-30 minutes, until the jalousie is golden and serve hot, sliced, with whipped cream.
- 7NOTES: (1) If you cannot find hazelnut meal, make your own by processing 11/4 cups of hazelnuts until they are very finely chopped. (2) Melt chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl in microwave oven, on medium, in 30-second bursts, stirring after each burst, until melted.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate & Pear Jalousie
Serving Size: 1 (237 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 794.8
- Calories from Fat 543
- Total Fat 60.3 g
- Saturated Fat 25.8 g
- Cholesterol 110.8 mg
- Sodium 280.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 64.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.1 g
- Sugars 24.9 g
- Protein 11.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: