Recipe by JamesDean'sGirl
What a cookie:) These make fabulous holiday gifts, and are a natural companion to a glass of cold milk! Be sure to give yourself enough time with this recipe--the dough needs to chill for at least 4 hours; it may even be better to make the dough the night before, chill it overnight, and bake the cookies the next day. *Prep time includes chill time.*
Top Review by leahun
This was an incredible recipe. I hate spending time rolling out dough and cutting out the cookies but my 12 year-old was happy to do it. My 17 year old melted bittersweet chocolate and added a few tablespoons of peanutbutter and a bit of powdered sugar and dipped them! Every guest that tried them told us that they are incredible and wants the recipe!
- 1 1⁄2 cups packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- 3⁄4 cup finely chopped peanuts
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter, peanut butter, and brown sugar until creamy, using an electric mixer at medium speed.
- Add the eggs and vanilla; blend until smooth.
- Combine the flour, cocoa powder, and baking powder; gradually add to the butter mixture on low speed until well mixed.
- Cover bowl; refrigerate dough at least 4 hours, or until firm.
- Preheat oven to 350*F.
- Roll out 1/2 the dough at a time on a lightly floured surface to 1/4" thickness.
- (Keep remaining dough chilled.) Cut out circles with a 4" round cookie cutter; cut each circle into quarters.
- Space cookies 2" apart on ungreased cookie sheets; bake for 10-12 minutes, or until set.
- Transfer cookies to wire racks and cool completely.
- Melt the chocolate chips and shortening together in a saucepan over low heat, stirring occasionally, until smooth; remove pan from heat.
- Dip the rounded edge of each cookie into the chocolate, then into the peanuts.
- Place on waxed paper until set, about 30 minutes.