Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a variation of Maple Pecan Pie. Use a baking /pizza stone to place the pie dish on whilst baking to prevent the crust becoming soggy.
- 12 ounces all-purpose flour
- 3 ounces vegetable shortening
- 3 ounces butter
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 6 ounces pecans
- 4 ounces butter
- 3 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 5 ounces chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1 tablespoon orange rind, grated
- Sift the flour and salt into a mixing bowl.
- Rub the fats into it until the mixture resembles fine crumbs.
- Add just enough cold water to mix to a dough that leaves the bowl clean. Leave the pastry to rest in a polythene bag in the refrigerator for 20-30 minutes.
- Turn the oven to 400°F, whilst the oven is heating up toast the pecans for 10 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Roll the pastry out and place in a pie dish that has been dusted with cornflour.
- Blind bake for 10 minutes.
- Melt the butter and mix together with the maple syrup, sugar, eggs, chocolate chips, orange juice and rind.
- Fold in the pecans, you can chop them in half if desired.
- Pour the filling into the pie crust and bake for 1 hour. The pie is ready if it does not wobble at the outer edges when you twist the dish.