Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 min
I got this out of Gourmet Magazine. This is a very rich dessert that goes well with just a little whipped cream.Great for any chocolate over. Using the best chocolate you can get is a good idea, and it is important to use 70% cacao chocolate. Please read through all steps before starting. There are a few different pieces of equipment used to make this. The pans can be lined and greased ahead of time
- 1 cup unsalted butter, save wrappers for greasing
- 12 ounces bittersweet chocolate, 70% cacao, coarsly chopped
- 5 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 7 tablespoons water
- Melt chocolate with butter in a large bowl oven a pot of simmering water. Remove from heat when the chocolate is just smooth.
- While chocolate is melting beat the eggs with 1/3 cup of the sugar until tripled in volume. About 5 minutes.
- Heat remaining sugar in a small sauce pan with the water. Stir into the chocolate mixture until combined. Let cool for 10 minutes.
- Add chocolate to egg mixture a little at a time while beating on medium speed. Beat just until combined.
- Pour batter into a 10 inch cake pan lined with parchment paper that has been greased with the butter wrapper.
- Place pan in a larger pan and fill with enough very hot water to come about half way up the pan.
- Bake at 300 for about 1 hour or until cake s just set.
- Cool in the water bath for about 2 hours then run a thin knife around the edges of the cake before serving.