Buster's friend's Note:
Found this adaptation of a Jacques Torres recipe on The Washington Post. Rich chocolate, toasted nuts, fast to come together - this one has a place on our Christmas cookie trays for sure. Using 2 cookie sheets, this recipe should be cooked up in 2 batches, each 16 to 18 minutes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/4 cups walnut halves (plus 1 tablespoon, whole macadamia nuts good too)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted (foam skimmed and discarded)
- 6 ounces unsweetened chocolate, broken into pieces
- 2 lbs dark chocolate, coarsely chopped (bittersweet, at least 60 percent cocoa)
- 2 1/4 cups sugar, plus 1 tablespoon
- 5 large eggs
- 1/2 cup flour, plus 3 tablespoons
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 1Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- 2Spread the nuts in a single layer on the sheet; bake for 5 minutes, then remove from the oven and drizzle with the 2 tablespoons of melted butter; set aside to cool while you make the cookie dough.
- 3Melt the unsweetened chocolate with half of the chopped dark chocolate in a microwave oven or in a bowl over hot water on the stove. Use 15 second bursts on the microwave & stir well between pulses. Set aside to cool slightly.
- 4Combine the remaining 6 tablespoons of butter and the sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer; beat on medium speed until well incorporated.
- 5Add the eggs one at a time, then stop to add the flour, baking powder and salt; beat until well combined. Remove the bowl from the mixer.
- 6Coarsely chop the cooled and buttered nuts, then add them to the mixing bowl along with the melted chocolate and the remaining chopped dark chocolate; stir by hand to combine. The dough will be quite stiff.
- 7Place a new sheet of parchment paper on the baking sheet. Spoon small mounds (a generous 1 1/2 tablespoons) of the dough onto the sheet, spacing them 2 inches apart. Bake for 16 to 18 minutes; the cookie tops will crack; that's okay. Let cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes, then transfer the cookies to a wire rack to cool completely before serving or storing.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate Mudslide Cookies
Serving Size: 1 (2027 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 185.4
- Calories from Fat 132
- Total Fat 14.7 g
- Saturated Fat 7.9 g
- Cholesterol 23.3 mg
- Sodium 38.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.9 g
- Sugars 9.6 g
- Protein 4.1 g