1 hr 15 mins
These were a hit at our annual Christmas cookie exchange!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 ounces mint chocolate, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened dutch process cocoa
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup turbinado sugar (coarse sugar for rolling cookies in)
- 3 ounces white chocolate, chopped
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1In a microwave-safe bowl, melt the bittersweet and mint chocolates at 30 second intervals until nearly melted. Whisk until smooth, then let cool.
- 2In a medium bowl, whisk the flour with with the cocoa and salt.
- 3In the bowl of a standing electric mixer fitted with the paddle, beat the butter until creamy. Add the granulated sugar and brown sugar and beat at medium-high speed unti light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Beat in egg yolks and vanilla. Scrape the chocolate into the mixer and beat just until incorporated. Add the dry ingredients and beat on low speed, scraping down the sides of the bowl occasionally, until smooth. Transfer the dough to a sheet of plastic wrap and pat it into a 7" disc. Wrap and refrigerate until well-chilled, at least one hour.
- 4Preheat oven to 350 and position racks on upper and lower thirds of oven.
- 5Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper. Spread the Turbinado sugar in a shallow dish. Scoop up tbsps. of dough and roll into balls, then roll in the sugar and place on cookie sheets.
- 6Use your thumb to make an indentation in the middle of each cookie.
- 7Bake for 10 minutes, until slightly firm. Remove from oven. Using a melon-baller, press center of cookies again. Return to oven, shifting the cookie sheets and bake for 5 more minutes, just until dry but not hard. Transfer cookie sheets to racks to cool completely.
- 8Put the white chocolate in a heatproof cup. Put the cream into a microwave-safe bowl and microwave on high power until boiling, about 30 seconds. Pour the hot cream over the white chocolate and let stand until melted, then whisk until smooth. Stir in peppermint extract. Fill center of cooled cookies with white chocolate mmixture and refrigerate until set, about 30 minutes. Store in airtight container for up to 1 week.
Browse Our Top Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate-Mint Thumbprint Cookies
Serving Size: 1 (784 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 877.8
- Calories from Fat 550
- Total Fat 61.2 g
- Saturated Fat 37.6 g
- Cholesterol 245.2 mg
- Sodium 475.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 78.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.8 g
- Sugars 36.4 g
- Protein 10.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: