Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs
work in process, attempting to recreate incredible, dark, gooey chocolate-walnut meringues from bistro aix. feedback requested! Notes: Be sure that nothing that contains fat (other than the nuts) comes in contact with the egg whites. They will collapse into a gooey mess if they do--so do NOT grease the baking sheet and make sure none of the egg yolk gets into the egg white mix.
- 7 ounces egg whites (approx 5 xl eggs)
- 1 lb confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup cocoa (I usually use 1.5+ cups)
- walnuts (etc) or almonds (etc)
- 1⁄2 cup chocolate chips (to taste, usually use approx 1/2 C)
- beat egg whites in metal or glass bowl on high until stiff peaks form.
- fold in sugar and cocoa slowly.
- add nuts or chocolate chips.
- place on non-stick baking sheet in 2 T clumps and bake at 220F for 1-3 hours (haven't figured out perfect time or temp yet--suggestions welcome!).