Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
An easy, make ahead and completely decadent delicious dessert that eveyone loves! *^*Lovingly adopted by Mom2 T, K, K & G September 2006 =)*^*
- 12 ounces semisweet chocolate or 12 ounces bittersweet chocolate
- 4 eggs, separated
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 pint heavy cream, whipped
- 1 angel food cake (see THE BEST ANGEL FOOD CAKE, The Best Angel Food Cake)
- Melt chocolate in top of double boiler.
- Beat egg yolks and add to chocolate along with sugar, vanilla extract, and salt.
- Beat egg whites until stiff and fold into chocolate mixture.
- Fold in pecans and whipped cream.
- Tear angel food cake into bite-sized pieces.
- Layer cake pieces and chocolate mixture in a two-quart serving bowl.
- Cover and chill at least five hours.
This was very easy and very, very delicious! I did use a 2 qt. serving bowl but found I used less about half the angel food cake (and I made it even easier by using a bakery-bought angel food cake!) That seemed about the right amount of cake to balance the chocolate sauce as well. The pecans really added a lot to the dish but putting nice flavour and some crunch to the texture. I used really good quality chocolate and I think that would be important in this dessert. This will become one of my standards to take to a pot luck or to serve for special occasions when everyone would like a lovely rich end to their meal!
I think the nutrition facts are a bit messed up... i wonder why..