Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
I make this recipe often with my mom.
- 1 1⁄4 cups shortening
- 1 1⁄2 cups packed brown sugar
- 5 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon maple flavoring
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 (1 ounce) semi-sweet chocolate baking squares
- 1 tablespoon butter (no substitutes)
- 1 1⁄2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- In a mixing bowl, cream shortening and brown sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla and maple flavoring. Combine flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add to the creamed mixture. Drop by teaspoonfuls 2 inches apart onto greased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until edges begin to brown. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- For frosting, melt chocolate and butter in a microwave or heavy saucepan. Add sugar and milk; mix well. Frost cooled cookies.