Prep 10 mins
Cook 33 mins
A filling of coconut and ricotta cheese... Mmmm! From Taste of Home.
- 2 egg whites
- 1 egg
- 1⁄3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup baking cocoa
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup fat-free ricotta cheese
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 egg white
- 1⁄3 cup flaked coconut
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coconut extract or 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 teaspoons confectioners' sugar
- In a mixing bowl, combine the egg whites, egg, applesauce and vanilla. Combine the flour, sugar, cocoa and baking soda; gradually add to egg white mixture alternatively with buttermilk. Spoon half of the batter into 18 muffin cups coated with nonstick cooking spray.
- In another mixing bowl, beat the ricotta cheese, sugar and egg white until smooth. Stir in coconut and extract. Spoon 1 tablespoonful in the center of each muffin cup.
- Fill muffin cups two-thirds full with remaining batter.
- Bake at 350F for 28-33 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in cupcake comes out clean.
- Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks; cool completely. Dust with confectioners' sugar.
Cupcakes with great taste and texture plus lower in fat - my kind of snack. Made just as written with a yield less than expected - 12 medium cupcakes and 4 smaller ones. Then I ran out of batter and filling. I used recipe #78579 to coat the pans and still had a sticking issue. I think more batter needs to be in the cups before adding the filling as that sunk and caused the sticking. Being the only family member who enjoys coconut and making these *just* for me, muffed up bottoms aren't a big concern. I will relish every lovely bite! Thanks for sharing the recipe!