Prep 1 hr
Cook 20 mins
A classic custard ice cream. Requires an ice cream maker and food processor
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Add the sugar, eggs, and cocoa to the container of a food processor; blend until smooth.
- Add the milk to a heavy medium-size saucepan; bring to a boil.
- With the food processor running, slowly pour the hot milk into the chocolate mixture through the feed tube; process until well blended.
- Pour the mixture back into the saucepan and put over low heat.
- Stir constantly using a whisk or wooden spoon; continue stirring until the custard thickens slightly (do not let the mixture boil or the eggs will scramble).
- Remove pan from heat and pour the custard mixture through a strainer into a large clean bowl.
- Allow the custard to cool slightly.
- Stir in the cream and vanilla.
- Cover and refrigerate until cold or overnight.
- Stir the chilled custard; freeze in one or two batches in an ice cream machine according to manufacturer's directions.
- The ice cream will be soft but ready to eat; if you want a firmer ice cream, freeze in a freezer-safe container for 2 hours.
This recipe makes the most decadent Chocolate Ice Cream I've ever had. I just started making my own ice cream at home using one of those ice cream makers that don't require salt or ice, you freeze the pail for 24 hours. The first batch was gone in two seconds! I made exactly as directed. The second batch I made I added 1/4 tsp of salt and 2 tablespoons of strong coffee I had left over from breakfast. I heard that adding salt to ice cream recipes make it creamier and coffee brings out the chocolate flavor even more. Again, it was a delicious batch of ice cream. I made it another time and added mini marshmallows and crushed graham crackers the last 5 minutes and it made a wonderful batch of 'smore ice cream. This recipe is easy and can be used as a base for many flavors! Rocky road is next. Thanks so much. I never liked Chocolate ice cream that much until i made your recipe! I could go on and on. Thanks again! -Italianmomof2
It's just after 9am on a Saturday morning, and I've already been licking the ice bowl clean!! Today is my 6 year wedding anniversary, so I'm making a special dinner for my husband and I. I decided to make this ice cream to go with my chocolate lava cakes. Made the custard last night, which was so easy. I didn't even need to put it through a strainer, it was so smooth. Got up this morning, threw it in the ice cream maker, and in 30 minutes I had Heaven! Pure Heaven!! I can't wait to eat this with the lava cakes this evening. My husband said this was almost as good as our local favorite frozen custard shop, Andy's. Thank you so much, this will surely become a favorite!