Recipe by Brenda.
Adapted from South African Gourmet Food and Wine-A moist delicious cake with a dreamy whipped cream filling and frosting.
Top Review by BLUE ROSE
This was so worth make this cake. The cake was so moist. As for the icing I had problems with. Thanks to Nick's Mom she made some changes to this. I only wished I could have given this 5 stars but due to the icing problem I chose 4.
- 1 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup cocoa
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 5 medium eggs
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 ounce dark chocolate (Melted)
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 4 ounces butter
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 4 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 4 tablespoons chocolate syrup, like Hershey's
- 2 tablespoons cocoa
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Sift flour, cocoa, salt and baking powder. Set aside.
- Beat eggs and sugar until thick and creamy. Add oil and vanilla.
- Beat 5 minutes.
- Add melted chocolate.
- Place milk and butter in saucepan and stir until butter has melted and mixture comes to a boil. Remove at once.
- Add milk mixture alternately to the egg mixture with sifted dry ingredients. (I do not let it cool before alternately adding with the dry ingredients.).
- Pour into 2- 9 inch round greased and floured (or use cocoa) pans and bake at 350* for 10-15 minutes.(do not overbake, layers are thin).
- Cool, fill and frost as desired.
- Filling instructions:.
- Beat all ingredients until spreading consistency (I beat quite stiff). Decorate with white chocolate shavings.
- Note: There is enough whipped frosting to generously fill in between the layers.