Southern Lady's Note:
Courtesy of Chef Andrea Curto-Randazzo.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/4 cup hazelnuts, finely ground
- 7 egg yolks, divided
- 2/3 cup sugar, plus
- 2 teaspoons sugar, divided
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 7 -8 tablespoons cold water
- 3/4 cup milk, plus
- 1 tablespoon milk, divided
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 3 ounces bittersweet chocolate, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup Frangelico
- 8 ounces ricotta cheese
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 egg white, beaten stiff
- whipped cream (to garnish) (optional)
- 2Combine 2 1/2 cups flour, hazelnuts, 3 egg yolks, 1/3 cup sugar, butter and water in bowl of food processor. Pulse (or, alternatively, mix with paddle attachment of mixer) until dough forms a ball.
- 3Shape into disk, wrap and refrigerate.
- 5Beat 3 egg yolks with 1/3 cup sugar until light.
- 6Add the remaining 2 tablespoons flour, 3/4 cup milk and cream.
- 7Cook mixture in double boiler, stirring constantly, until thick.
- 8Stir chocolate and Frangelico into the mixture in double boiler until chocolate melts. COOL.
- 9Combine with Ricotta and pinch of salt. Fold in the beaten egg white. Mix well and set aside for 10 minutes.
- 10FINAL ASSEMBLY:.
- 11Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- 12Butter and flour a 10-inch pie pan.
- 13Roll out 3/4 of the dough into a circle and line the pie pan with an overlap.
- 14Pour in filling.
- 15Roll out remaining dough and cover pie.
- 16Press overlap of bottom and top crusts together.
- 17Crimp edges with fingers or fork.
- 18Beat remaining egg yolk with 1 tablespoon of milk and brush top of pie with mixture.
- 19Bake until golden brown, approximately 35 to 40 minutes.
- 20Cool pie and cut in 12 wedges to serve. Top wedges with whipped cream, if desired.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate Hazelnut Ricotta Pie
Serving Size: 1 (117 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 305.7
- Calories from Fat 135
- Total Fat 15.1 g
- Saturated Fat 7.8 g
- Cholesterol 144.5 mg
- Sodium 49.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 12.1 g
- Protein 7.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: