Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
From food preserving yahoo group.
- 3⁄4 cup whole wheat flour (3 3/4 oz)
- 1⁄2 cup dutch process cocoa (1 1/2 oz)
- 1 1⁄4 cups confectioners' sugar (5 oz)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick or 4 oz)
- 2 tablespoons honey (1 1/2 oz)
- 2 tablespoons milk, cold (1 oz)
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees F.
- Cut out two sheets of parchment as large as your cookie sheets.
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together the flours, salt, cocoa, sugar, and baking powder.
- With a pastry blender, two knives, or your fingertips, cut the butter into the flour mixture until evenly crumbly.
- In a separate bowl, combine the honey and milk, stirring until the honey dissolves.
- Add the liquid to the dry ingredients and toss lightly with a fork until the dough comes together. Add additional milk, if necessary.
- Turn the dough out onto a well floured surface and fold it over gently 10 to 12 times, until smooth.
- Divide the dough in half. Work with half the dough at a time, keeping the remaining dough covered.
- Transfer one piece of dough to a piece of parchment. Roll it into a rectangle a bit larger than 10 x 14 inches; the dough will be about 1/16 inch thick.
- Trim the edges and prick the dough evenly with a dough docker or fork. Repeat with the remaining dough and parchment.
- Place the rolled-out dough pieces, on their parchment, onto baking sheets.
- Bake the crackers for 15 minutes, or until you begin to smell chocolate.
- Remove them from the oven, and immediately cut them into rectangles with a pizza wheel or knife.
- Transfer them to a rack to cool. Store the cooled crackers tightly wrapped.
- Yield: 32 - 3 1/2 x 2 1/2 inch crackers.