Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
This cake icing is perfect for a 9x13 inch cake left in the pan. It is rich with chocolate flavor and married with one of chocolate's natural partners, espresso. I added instant espresso powder to the milk called for in the recipe, but I suppose if you wanted to omit the milk, you could just add the equivalent of freshly brewed espresso with it's exquisite crema. Or even go total latte.Getting the espresso flavor in there is the key.
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder (use your best, Dutch-processed is best)
- 1 tablespoon instant espresso powder
- 6 tablespoons whole milk
- 1 (4 cup) box powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup nuts (pecans, walnuts, but toast them first) (optional)
- Place unsalted butter, salt, cocoa powder, espresso powder dissolved in whole milk (or omit milk and go entirely with 6 tablespoons of freshly brewed espresso or 6 tablespoons of freshly brewed, unsweetened latte).
- Combine in a medium saucepan over medium heat and bring to a boil.
- When reaching a boil, immediately remove from heat and add vanilla and powdered sugar and nuts. Whisk into smooth paste. Pour immediately over warm cake, Let set. Doesn't take long. Enjoy.
This was very sweet and did not compliment the richness of the espresso very well. It pours quite well though. I think I want to cut back the sugar a little next time and go with the freshly brewed latte option. Made and reviewed for PAC Fall 2008. Thanks :)