Recipe by pines506
I made these for one of the cookie exchanges I was in this year. Very easy, yummy and pretty! Prep time includes chill time.
- 1 cup butter, softened (no substitutes)
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 6 drops red food coloring
- 4 1⁄2 teaspoons chocolate syrup
- 1⁄2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons shortening
Directions See How It's Made
- Line a 9x5x3 inches loaf pan with waxed paper; set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Divide dough into thirds. Add peppermint extract and red food coloring to one portion and mix well; spread evenly into prepared pan.
- Spread one plain layer evenly over first layer.
- To last portion add chocolate syrup; spread over second layer.
- Cover with foil; chill for 4 hours or overnight.
- Unwrap loaf and cut in half lengthwise. Cut each portion widthwise into 1/4 in slices.
- Place 2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake at 350 for 12-14 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- In a microwave, melt chocolate chips and shortening; stir until blended and smooth.
- Dip one end of each cookie into chocolate. Place on wire racks until set.