Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
Smooth, rich, creamy, with a great caramel crust, and best of all CHOCOLATE!!!
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 6 egg yolks
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons firmly packed brown sugar
- For custard: Place cream in heavy, medium saucepan.
- Bring to simmer and remove from heat.
- Add vanilla extract and chocolate and stir until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth.
- Whisk egg yolks and sugar in medium bowl to blend.
- Slowly whisk in hot chocolate cream.
- Let cool to room temperature, stirring occasionally, about 15-20 minutes.
- Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 300F.
- Arrange six ½ cup ramekins or custard cups in shallow baking pan.
- Divide cooled chocolate mixture among them.
- Pour enough hot water into baking pan to come halfway up sides of ramekins.
- Bake until custards are just set, about 40 minutes.
- Cool custards on racks (can be prepared 1 day ahead; cover tightly and refrigerate).
- For topping: Preheat broiler.
- Mix sugars together.
- Sprinkle over custard in an even layer.
- Place ramekins on a baking sheet.
- Broil 2 inches away from heat source just until sugar melts and begins to caramelize.
- Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Thanks, I just loved this recipe! I never had Creme Brulee before. I never knew what I was missing.
This was just so good - we all loved it - is there any more they asked. Next time the only thing I'll do different is make twice as much!! Thanks evelyn/athens it looks great, tastes great and really is so easy - we love ya!!
This is seriously delicious! The only thing I did differently was to use a torch for the sugar on top. I know I will be making this recipe again. Thanks!