Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Not too many things better than chocolate pie. Especially when it's homemade AND quick and easy. This pie filling also makes a good puddding. Cook time is cooling time. Prep time does not include pie crust.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 3 slightly beaten egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 9 inch pie shell, baked
- fat-free whipped topping
- In a saucepan, mix sugar, flour or cornstarch and salt; gradually stir in milk and chocolate; over medium heat, cook, stirring until bubbling; cook 2 minutes; remove from heat.
- Temper eggs by slowly adding a moderate amount of cooked mixture to them while stirring; pour back into saucepan.
- Cook another 2 minutes, stirring constantly; remove from heat; stir in butter and vanilla.
- Pour into cooled pie shell and cool.
- Top with whipped topping or meringue.
I made this for Christmas and it got rave reviews. I used real whipped cream instead of fat-free whipped topping, though. I'll make it again soon.
Soooo good! I love the fact that it was not a pudding mix or marshmallow biased. So yummy it is wicked!