Prep 30 mins
Cook 14 mins
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 4 drops red food coloring
- 1⁄2 cup flaked coconut, finely chopped
- 4 1⁄2 teaspoons chocolate syrup
- 1⁄2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons shortening
- Line a 9x5x3 inch loaf pan with wax paper,set aside.
- In a mixing bowl cream butter and sugar.
- Beat in egg and vanilla.
- Combine the flour,baking powder and salt,gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Divide dough into thirds.
- Add almond extract and red food coloring to one portion,spread evenly into prepared pan.
- Add coconut to second portion,spread evenly over first layer.
- Add chocolate syrup to third portion,spread evenly over second layer.
- Cover with foil,freeze for 4 hours or overnight.
- Unwrap loaf and cut in half lengthwise into 1/4 inch slices.
- Place 2 inches apart onto ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake at 350 for 12-14 minutes.
- Remove to wire racks to cool.
- In microwave melt chocolate chios and shortening,stir until blended and smooth.
- Dip one end of each cookie into chocolate.
- Place on wire racks until set.