Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is so good it should be illegal! Can be made ahead and served later.
Make and share this Chocolate Coconut Cream Pie recipe from Food.com.
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups flaked coconut
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs, separated
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 teaspoons real vanilla
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- whipped cream
- chocolate shavings
- Crust:Melt chocolate and butter in small saucepan over low heat.
- Place sugar into bowl.
- Add butter/choc to sugar.
- Add coconut and mix well.
- Press into pie pan and chill.
- Filling: Combine sugar, cornstarch, salt and egg yolks in a bowl.
- Add warm milk slowly to sugar mixture.
- Pour back into a sauce pan and cook over med.
- heat stirring constantly until thickened.
- Add vanilla and coconut.
- Cool slightly.
- Pour filling into chilled chocolate crust.
- Cover filling w/ a thin coating of butter and cool.
- Serve w/ whipped cream covered w/ chocolate shavings.
I am aborting this pie mission after making the "crust", which is a disaster. After adding the melted chocolate and butter to the confectioners sugar, it turns into little balls that look and taste horrible; there is no chocolate taste whatsoever. I did not add the 1.5 cups of coconut and I'm grateful that I won't be wasting additional ingredients. There is no way that the crust would press into a pie plate. It's just wrong. Sorry - won't be completing this recipe!