Recipe by Aroostook
This is so good it should be illegal! Can be made ahead and served later.
Top Review by vrvrvr
I am aborting this pie mission after making the "crust", which is a disaster. After adding the melted chocolate and butter to the confectioners sugar, it turns into little balls that look and taste horrible; there is no chocolate taste whatsoever. I did not add the 1.5 cups of coconut and I'm grateful that I won't be wasting additional ingredients. There is no way that the crust would press into a pie plate. It's just wrong. Sorry - won't be completing this recipe!
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups flaked coconut
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs, separated
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 teaspoons real vanilla
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- whipped cream
- chocolate shavings
Directions See How It's Made
- Crust:Melt chocolate and butter in small saucepan over low heat.
- Place sugar into bowl.
- Add butter/choc to sugar.
- Add coconut and mix well.
- Press into pie pan and chill.
- Filling: Combine sugar, cornstarch, salt and egg yolks in a bowl.
- Add warm milk slowly to sugar mixture.
- Pour back into a sauce pan and cook over med.
- heat stirring constantly until thickened.
- Add vanilla and coconut.
- Cool slightly.
- Pour filling into chilled chocolate crust.
- Cover filling w/ a thin coating of butter and cool.
- Serve w/ whipped cream covered w/ chocolate shavings.