Prep 25 mins
Cook 10 mins
With multiple types of chocolate (as well as nuts and dried fruit), these fabulous, over-the-top, decadent cookies are for serious chocolate lovers! This awesome recipe is from the cookbook, "Baking: From My Home to Yours", by Dorie Greenspan. These freeze very well.
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 3 pieces
- 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped into small chunks (can use 1 cup store-bought chocolate chips or chunks)
- 6 ounces premium quality milk chocolate (can use 1 cup store-bought chocolate chips or chunks) or 6 ounces white chocolate, chopped into small chunks (can use 1 cup store-bought chocolate chips or chunks)
- 1 -1 1⁄2 cup salted peanuts (can use another nut) or 1 -1 1⁄2 cup roasted pecan, coarsely chopped (can use another nut)
- 1 cup raisins (can use whatever dried fruit that you like) or 1 cup plump dried apricots (can use whatever dried fruit that you like) or 1 cup dried cranberries (can use whatever dried fruit that you like)
- Sift together flour, cocoa powder, salt and baking powder into medium bowl.
- In heatproof bowl set over pan of simmering water, melt butter, bittersweet chocolate and unsweetened chocolate. Stir to blend. Remove from heat. Cool to room temperature.
- Using stand mixer with paddle attachment or hand electric mixer, beat eggs and sugar in large bowl on high speed about 2 minutes, until pale and foamy. Beat in vanilla. Scrape bowl. Add melted chocolate mixture. Beat on low speed only until just blended. Scrape bowl. Add flour mixture. Beat on low speed until just blended (don't overmix!). Scrape bowl. Stir in semisweet chocolate, white chocolate, nuts and raisins.
- Line baking sheet with parchment. Use 1-3/4-inch disher to scoop and transfer dough to baking sheet, mounding about 1 inch apart. Cover and refrigerate remaining dough until needed.
- Bake in centre of preheated 350F oven 10 to 12 minutes, until tops look a bit dry but interiors are still soft. Cool on rack 5 minutes. Using spatula, gently transfer cookies directly to rack to cool to room temperature. For firmer cookies, refrigerate 10 minutes. Repeat with remaining dough.