Prep 10 mins
Cook 7 mins
I used my Belgian waffle machine for these, although you can use any type of waffle iron as these are not true Belgian style waffles. These were so good and did not last long at all. This recipe makes about 6 full round waffles, which can be broken into 4 smaller waffles each (I used 2 of those smaller pieces as a serving suggestion). The Zaar computer requires that I enter a cook time, but the time will vary based on each individual machine - I guess at about 7 minutes per waffle, but please test one out on your machine first for more accurate timing.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (I used Ghirardelli dark) or 1 cup dark chocolate chips (I used Ghirardelli dark)
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder (yes really this much)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 2⁄3 cups 2% low-fat milk
- 1⁄3 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 2 extra large eggs, lightly beaten (I actually prefer Jumbo)
- Heat a waffle iron according to your manufacturer's instructions. Be sure to grease it well; again - according to the instructions.
- Mix the dry ingredients together with a whisk, stirring in the chocolate chips last.
- Add in the milk, then the slightly cooled melted butter.
- Add the eggs and stir, just enough to combine - there might be a few lumps in the batter; you just don't want any dry patches or big lumps.
- Pour the amount of batter specified for your waffle iron onto the preheated waffle iron and cook according to your instructions or until the steaming stops.
- For softer waffles, cook less time, for crispy waffles, cook longer.
- In general, if the steaming has dramatically slowed down and you can easily open the waffle iron to remove the waffle without it sticking, it is most likely done.
- Serve as is or with butter or powdered sugar or syrup - whatever you prefer.
A huge hit with the family! These waffles are excellent both freshly made and frozen then reheated in the toaster. This a new family favorite. I did cut back on the mini chocolate chips just a little to try and make them a tad healthier. The recipe made 11 waffles for me. Thanks for sharing!
I thought it tasted wonderful bubut itritr needs a little bit of vanilla ??
These are fantastic! I omitted the salt since I used salted butter. Served topped with lots of butter & powdered sugar! Yummm