Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
I normally dislike pumpkin, but these muffins are such a great blend of other ingredients, that the pumpkin actually is quite good. These would be great for the holidays.
- 1 (8 ounce) box spice cake mix
- 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin pie mix
- 1 (8 ounce) bag semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup baking walnuts (optional)
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 (12 ounce) jar vanilla frosting (optional) or 1 (12 ounce) jarcheesecake icing (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Lightly grease muffin pan, or use paper muffin cups to avoid sticking.
- Mix spice cake, pumpkin, chocolate chips, walnuts, and water in a large mixing bowl.
- Fill cups to the brim for large muffins, fill half-way for smaller ones.
- Bake for 25-35 minutes, depending on size.
- Spread icing over the tops when they have cooled.
I like these muffins for the moistness and flavor of the spice cake. These seem more like a cupcake than a average muffin especially if frosted. I personally didn't like the chocolate chips in this. I thought it was overpowering and I only used a cup. It might have been better with milk chocolate. Something about that semi-sweet just didn't seem to fit. Just my taste. My daughter really enjoyed them just the way they are and insisted they get a 5. I am sure I would love them without the chocolate and plan to repeat that way.