Recipe by mersaydees
This is based on a recipe from BH&G's New Cook Book, third printing in 1990. I was surprised that I couldn't find this recipe posted here, although there is a similar one, also from BH&G. Before joining 'Zaar, this has been my go-to recipe when I feel like whipping up a batch of chocolate chip cookies and I prefer it to the recipes printed on the bag of chips. I only make one change, which I noted next to the butter ingredient, in order to keep the ingredients the same as the original.
Top Review by abbydabby
These are seriously the best chocolate chip cookies ever. They are soft and doughy, just delicious. I added your recommended 1 cup of butter (used Brummel & Brown natural yogurt butter though), and it was perfect. The only thing I did differently was add the chocolate chips after the cookie dough was already spooned onto the cookie sheet...this is just a personal preference, as I prefer to keep the # of chips/cookie to a minimum (4-6 depending on size of cookie). Thanks for sharing!
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1⁄2 cup margarine (I always use 1 cup salted butter) or 1⁄2 cup butter (I always use 1 cup salted butter)
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 (12 ounce) package semisweet chocolate pieces (2 cups)
- 1 cup walnuts (filerts) (optional) or 1 cup pecans (filerts) (optional) or 1 cup hazelnuts, chopped (filerts) (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Using the medium or high setting of an electric mixer, beat shortening and margarine or butter together for 30 seconds in mixing bowl.
- Add about half of the flours, the brown sugar, sugar, eggs, vanilla, and baking soda.
- Beat mixture till thoroughly combined.
- Beat in the remaining flour.
- Using wooden spoon, stir in chocolate pieces and optionally, the nuts.
- Drop dough by rounded teaspoons 2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake for 8 to 10 miutes or till edges are lightly browned.
- Cool cookies on a wire rack.