Prep 25 mins
Cook 8 mins
I got this recipe from my Better Homes cookbook. These are some of the best chocolate chip cookies I've had!
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (I use 1/4 tsp.)
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 (12 ounce) package semisweet chocolate pieces or 1 (12 ounce) packageminiature candy-coated semisweet chocolate pieces
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped walnuts or 1 1⁄2 cups pecans or 1 1⁄2 cups hazelnuts or 1 1⁄2 cups filberts
- In a large mixing bowl beat shortening and butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds.
- Add brown sugar, granulated sugar, and baking soda. Beat until mixture is combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally.
- Beat in eggs and vanilla until combined.
- Beat in as much flour as you can with the mixer. Stir in any remaining flour. Stir in chocolate pieces and, if desired, nuts.
- Drop dough by rounded teaspoons 2 inches apart onto an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake in a 375 degree oven for 8 to 10 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool.