Prep 35 mins
Cook 28 mins
This may seem like a lot of work, and I have not made them yet. However, I would think you could cut them cross-wise BEFORE baking, and cut down the time in prep. Source: Better Homes and Gardens http://recipes.bhg.com
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 8 ounces coarsely chopped semisweet chocolate
- 1 cup chopped walnuts (filberts, optional) (optional) or 1 cup pecans (filberts, optional) (optional) or 1 cup hazelnuts (filberts) (optional)
- Line a 13x9x2-inch baking pan with foil; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl beat butter and shortening with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds.
- Add brown sugar, granulated sugar, and baking soda; beat until combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally.
- Beat in the eggs and vanilla until combined.
- Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Using a wooden spoon, stir in any remaining flour.
- Stir in chocolate and, if desired, nuts. Press dough evenly into the prepared pan.
- Bake in a 375°F oven for 22 to 25 minutes or until golden brown and center is set. Cool in pan on a wire rack 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Holding securely to foil lining, gently remove cookies from pan and place on a cutting board, leaving cookies on foil lining.
- Cut crosswise into 9x1/2-inch slices. Place slices, cut side down, about 1 inch apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake for 6 to 8 minutes or until cut edges are crispy. Carefully transfer cookies to wire rack (cookies will be tender). Cool. Makes 18.
- Make-Ahead Tip:.
- Bake cookies as directed; cool completely. Place in a freezer container or bag and freeze for up to 3 months.
- Before serving, thaw for 15 minutes.