1/4 Photos of Chocolate Chip Cookie and Caramel Sundae
1 hr 45 mins
The best homemade chocolate chip cookie warmed and topped with vanilla ice cream (we prefer Blue Bell) then drizzled with easy homemade caramel sauce. Or just make the cookies. These are the best chocolate chip cookies you'll ever make
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 3/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour (King Arthur)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons salt (divided)
- 1 cup unsalted butter (softened)
- 1/2 cup shortening (Crisco-plain)
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract (real not imitation)
- 1 1/4 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips (Ghirardelli)
- 1In large mixing bowl add flour, 1 teaspoon sea salt and baking soda and whisk until all ingredients are well blended. Set aside.
- 2It's easiest to use a stand mixer but if you don't have one a hand mixer will do. Cream the butter and shortening until light and fluffy approximately 2-3 minutes.
- 3Add both sugars and beat on high (stand mixer) 1-2 minutes until well blended. Add eggs one at a time and beat well between each egg. Add vanilla and beat until fluffy and well incorporated approximately 2 minutes. Add chocolate chips and fold into batter on low with a stand mixer or by hand with wooden spoon. Add the flour 1 cup at a time mixing on low until just incorporated. Don't over beat. Test the dough. It should feel slightly sticky but shouldn't stick to your fingers. If too sticky add 1 tablespoon of flour at a time until correct consistency.
- 4Using your hands form dough into 1 1/2 inch balls (see photo). Place on un-greased cookie sheet 3 inches apart. Cover with plastic wrap (Glad or Saran) and place in refrigerator for 45 minutes (But the dough can stay in the refrigerator up to 2 days or in freezer up to 6 months).
- 5Place rack on the 2nd highest setting and preheat oven for 20 minutes on 375.
- 6Sprinkle each cookie with a small pinch of salt.
- 7Bake for 10 minutes. Remove and using a spatula, flatten slightly to about 1/4 inch tall and place back in oven for additional 4 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool on cookie sheet for 2 minutes. Then gently move off cookie sheet to cooling rack for 10 minutes.
- 8TO MAKE CARAMEL SAUCE.
- 9Using a medium sized sauce pan pour in the water and sugar. Over medium low heat continually stir using a rubber (not wood) spatula until sugar is completely dissolved. Approximately 4 minutes.
- 10Turn heat to medium high. STOP stirring and let mixture boil until it starts to turn a golden brown Approximately 6-7 minutes. (SEE PHOTO).
- 11Lift pan directly above the heat and swirl the pan around until the sugar turns a dark brown Approximately 1-2 minutes. (SEE PHOTO).
- 12Add butter, cream and 1/8 teaspoon salt and continue swirling until everything is mixed together. Using a spatula continue stirring until completely mixed. Let cool. (SEE PHOTO) Here's a hint when it comes to cleaning the pan of stuck on candy -- rinse out the pan with hot water first. Then add 1/2 cup water and 1/2 cup white vinegar and bring to a boil. Let boil for 2-3 minutes. Empty water/vinegar mix and wash normally. The pan will be completely clean.
- 13TO ASSEMBLE.
- 14Place 1 warmed cookie on plate (you can reheat cookie in oven at 175 for 3 minutes). Add one scoop vanilla ice cream then generously drizzle with caramel sauce. Eat with a fork.
Browse Our Top Chocolate Chip Cookies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chocolate Chip Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate Chip Cookie and Caramel Sundae
Serving Size: 1 (161 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 18
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 563.2
- Calories from Fat 272
- Total Fat 30.3 g
- Saturated Fat 16.4 g
- Cholesterol 86.0 mg
- Sodium 419.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 70.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 52.9 g
- Protein 5.4 g