Recipe by Torrig
This recipe comes from the delicious Cupcake Bakeshop by Chocylit. If you love cupcakes, you need to check out her blog.
Top Review by PuenteTriana
My family and I loved it. I love spices, but wasn't sure about the Cardamom, so I used a little less, 1 1/2 TBS, I didn`t have valrhona so I replaced it with 1/3 cup of unsweetened cocoa powder. I didn´t make the frosting. It turned out great, I will upload the pics.
Thanks for sharing.
Chai Spice Mix
- 2 teaspoons fennel seeds
- 2 teaspoons cloves
- 1 tablespoon ground cardamom
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
Chocolate Chai Spice Cupcakes (use 3 tsp chai mixed spice)
- 200 g bar of valrhona 61% cacao
- 1 1⁄2 cups butter
- 2 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 8 eggs
- 1 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
Chai Spice Buttercream Frosting (use 2 tsp chai mixed spice)
- 1 cup butter
- 4 -5 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
Directions See How It's Made
- With a small food processor, grind up the whole fennel and cloves.
- Transfer to a small bowl and add remaining spices. Mix to combine.
- Chop chocolate and transfer into the bowl of a standing mixer.
- Add butter to the chocolate and place the bowl over a pan of simmering water. Stir until chocolate melts and butter is combined.
- Remove from heat and stir in sugar. Let mixture cool for 10 minutes.
- Beat in an electric mixer for 3 minutes.
- Add one egg at a time, mixing for 30 seconds between each.
- Sift the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, chai spice mix, and a pinch of salt into the mixture and mix until blended.
- Scoop into cupcake cups and bake at 350 F for 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Beat butter until creamy, scrape bowl.
- Add 4 cups of sifted powdered sugar, milk, spice mix, and ginger. Beat until combined.
- Add more powdered sugar as needed to get piping consistency.
- Assemble cooled cupcakes.