Autumn Orange Spice Cupcakes
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 20mins
- 2 oranges
- 18 1⁄4 spice cake mix
- 3 eggs
- 1 3⁄4 cups butter, room temperature
- 16 ounces confectioners' sugar
- yellow and red food coloring
- 3⁄4 cup wilton leaves candy sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 350°F Line 18 muffin cups with cupcake liners.
- Grate 2 tsp zest and squeeze 3/4 cup juice from oranges. On medium speed, beat cake mix, eggs, orange juice, 1/2 c water, 1/4 c butter and 1 tsp zest until combined (30 secs). On medium-high speed, beat until smooth and thickened (2 mins).
- Divide among liners. Bake 18-20 mins or until toothpick inserted into centers comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes Transfer to racks. Cool completely.
- On medium speed, beat remaining 1 1/2 c butter until smooth. Gradually beat in sugar until light and fluffy (2 mins). Beat in remaining 1 tsp zest. If desired, tint frosting orange with food colorings, then transfer to pasty bag fitted with star or other decorative tip. Pipe or spread frosting over cupcakes. Garnish with sprinkles.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>I am university student and quasi-housewife to my workaholic significant other, who is a phenomenal cook and serious foodie as well. We enjoy undertaking complicated cooking projects to help wind down after a long day...most days we don't get to eat until close to midnight, thanks to his work schedule, our gym time, and our cooking projects. </p> <p>Our current food interests have been on curries, steak, shellfish, and healthy desserts. The ethnic theme has mostly been Indian and Creole. We like incorporating a lot of spice and experimenting with rare or exotic ingredients.</p> <p>But we enjoy our wine (we keep a journal) and time together as we cook. When time allows, we will enjoy a nice after-dinner drink (tailored to our dessert choice of course), usually a spicy sipping rum like Zaya or Zacapa or a glass of cognac or tawny port. So we enjoy experimenting with desserts to suit or incorporate various spirits or dessert wines. And trying to find some healthy options so we can enjoy our wine or *****tail with a little less guilt! </p> <p>But we do love to indulge! And love entertaining family and friends to sample new creations or enjoy some our famous concontions. </p> <p>Currently, I am experimenting with creating a recipe list that incorporates the philosophy of the best facets of different diet plans while maximizing the benefits of combining the nutritional content of the foods with the health benefits of various spices in order to create nutritionally balanced meals. Just for fun and some interested friends. I'll create a recipe list when I have made more progress.</p>