Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
Elegant and wonderfully delicious
- 2 cups packed light brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups vegetable oil
- 4 extra large eggs
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 cup cocoa powder, plus
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 lb carrot, peeled and grated
- 1⁄2 lb chopped walnuts
- 4 ounces white chocolate
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Grease and flour a ten inch tube pan.
- Combine brown sugar,oil, and eggs, stirring until smooth. Sift together baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, cocoa powder, and flour. Beat dry ingredients into liquid, mixing well. Fold in carrots and walnuts. Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until a cake tester inserted near center of ring comes out clean.
- Cool in pan on rack for 15 minutes. Turn out cake and let cool completly.
- Melt white chocolate in the top half of a double boiler or in a microwave and pour over top of cooled cake.
- If desired, garnish with melted dark chocolate driizzled over cake and fresh fruit such as strawberries.
There are 2 cinnamons listed so I used the 1 teaspoon. I used wholemeal flour and choc chips (which sank!) instead of walnuts as my son doesn't like them. I didn't add the white chocolate on top. I made 2 loaf cakes which took 45 min. This cake was beautifully moist and delicately flavoured. So good my son ate 4 slices. Will definitely make it again.