Recipe by Beachbunnymom
These are like Whoopie pies. Chocolate cake like cookies with a creamy filling. Sweet and delicious! The cake is delicate so make sure you let the cake cool completely before assembling.
- 3 tablespoons brewed coffee
- 1 1⁄4 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon hazelnut-flavored liqueur
- 5 eggs, separated
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- cocoa powder (for sprinkling)
- 3⁄4 cup shortening
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 egg whites
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven 350 degrees. Grease jelly roll pan with shortening. Cover with parchment paper. Grease parchment paper with shortening too.
- In double boiler, melt chocolate chips and coffee. Stir constantly. When completely melted, take out of heat and add hazelnut liquor. Set aside and allow to cool at room temperature.
- Beat egg whites. Slowly add ½ cup sugar and continue beating till egg whites are stiff.
- In another bowl, beat egg yolks and ¼ cup sugar. Add melted chocolate. Mix well.
- Slowly fold egg whites into egg yolk mixture 1 cup at a time. Do not over fold.
- Spread on prepared jelly roll pan. Bake 15-17 minutes. Allow to cool completely. Place another parchment paper on top of cake, then invert on a flat surface. Cut off edges. Sprinkle cocoa powder all over cake.
- After cake has cooled completely, cut out shapes with cookies cutter -- be careful, they are fragile (you will need two of each shape to make a sandwich).
- Filling: In a bowl, mix shortening, confectioners sugar, salt, vanilla, and egg white till stiff and fluffy.
- Take cake (cocoa sprinkled side) and top with filling. Cover with another cake to make a sandwich. Refrigerate at least 1 hour before serving.