1/5 Photos of Chocolate Butter Glaze
From Baker's Dozen Cookbook. I used this to glaze Rich Chocolate Cake (under my recipe) and the glaze is unbelievably delicious with a shiny finish. Easy to prepare and it's perfect for a cake that does not require refrigeration (suitable for tropical weather such as Singapore). Serve frosted cake at room temperature. Use best quality chocolate for good results (i used Valrhona). The prep time is for the microwave method for preparing the glaze only (glazing cake not included). Yield is 1 1/2 cups which is perfect for a 9 inch cake.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Combine chocolate, butter and corn syrup in a heatproof medium bowl.
- 2Place in a skillet of barely simmering water.
- 3Stir frequently, until almost completely melted.
- 4Remove bowl from skillet and stir until mixture is smooth.
- 5Do not whisk or beat the glaze.
- 6Let stand at room temperature without stirring until cooled, thick and spreadable (about 30mins, depending on kitchen temp).
- 7You may also use microwave for the melting step (as I did), just mix the ingredients in a microwave-safe bowl.
- 8Nuke the mixture at LOW power for approx 20 sec, remove bowl, stir gently.
- 9Repeat until chocolate has melted and mixture is smooth.
- 10The first layer of glaze- Spread a very thin layer using 1/4 of the glaze over the top and sides of cake (cake must be at room temp).
- 11Be sure to smooth rough surfaces and fill in any cracks.
- 12Be careful not to get any crumbs into the bowl of glaze.
- 13This is the'crumb coat', and it gives the cake a smooth and even undercoat for the final glaze.
- 14The final glaze- Rewarm the glaze in microwave/double boiler for a few seconds.
- 15Stir gently until smooth.
- 16Do not overheat; glaze should be 90F for it to dry to a shiny finish.
- 17If necessary, cool to proper temperature.
- 18Once the final glaze has been applied, let cake stand at room temp until the glaze sets, about 15mins.
- 19NOTE: Do no re-spread glaze once it has set, or it will have marks and dull streaks.
Browse Our Top Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate Butter Glaze
Serving Size: 1 (22 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 123.2
- Calories from Fat 118
- Total Fat 13.1 g
- Saturated Fat 8.2 g
- Cholesterol 15.2 mg
- Sodium 4.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 4.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 0.2 g
- Protein 1.8 g