Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
for those who can't stand pudding in their pie. this takes more than a day to make, so I reserve it for special occasions. and yes, I found this in an old Betty Crocker cook book, but I have done a little tweaking to perfect it. Uses a meringue pie crust.
- heat oven to 275.
- generously butter 9 inch pie plate.
- beat egg whites and cream of tartar in small mixer bowl untill foamy.
- beat in sugar 1 tablespoon at a time; continue beeating until glossy. DO NOT UNDER BEAT.
- spoon into pie plate, pressing against side and bottom.
- bake 45 minute.
- Turn OFF oven. LEAVE CRUST IN OVEN 45 MIN WITH CLOSED DOOR. failure to do so will completely ruin the crust.
- remove from oven, finish cooling away from draft.
- Heat chocolate in hot water in sauce pan over low heat, stirring constantly, until melted.
- cool to room temp and stir in vanilla.
- beat 1 cup whipping cream in chilled bowl(any will do. get best results using the freezer)until stiff.
- fold in chocolate mixture.
- refrigerate 12 hours.
- spoon into pie shell.
- combine whipping cream and powdered sugar, beat until stiff.
- spread evenly over the pie.
- sprinkle chocolate shavings over whipped cream.
- serve and eat within 12 hours of completion for best taste.