for those who can't stand pudding in their pie. this takes more than a day to make, so I reserve it for special occasions. and yes, I found this in an old Betty Crocker cook book, but I have done a little tweaking to perfect it. Uses a meringue pie crust.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 ounces of sweet baking chocolate
- 3 tablespoons hot water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup chilled whipping cream
- 1heat oven to 275.
- 2generously butter 9 inch pie plate.
- 3beat egg whites and cream of tartar in small mixer bowl untill foamy.
- 4beat in sugar 1 tablespoon at a time; continue beeating until glossy. DO NOT UNDER BEAT.
- 5spoon into pie plate, pressing against side and bottom.
- 6bake 45 minute.
- 7Turn OFF oven. LEAVE CRUST IN OVEN 45 MIN WITH CLOSED DOOR. failure to do so will completely ruin the crust.
- 8remove from oven, finish cooling away from draft.
- 9Heat chocolate in hot water in sauce pan over low heat, stirring constantly, until melted.
- 10cool to room temp and stir in vanilla.
- 11beat 1 cup whipping cream in chilled bowl(any will do. get best results using the freezer)until stiff.
- 12fold in chocolate mixture.
- 13refrigerate 12 hours.
- 14spoon into pie shell.
- 15combine whipping cream and powdered sugar, beat until stiff.
- 16spread evenly over the pie.
- 17sprinkle chocolate shavings over whipped cream.
- 18serve and eat within 12 hours of completion for best taste.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate Angel Pie
Serving Size: 1 (104 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 347.5
- Calories from Fat 273
- Total Fat 30.3 g
- Saturated Fat 18.8 g
- Cholesterol 81.5 mg
- Sodium 40.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 14.7 g
- Protein 4.1 g