Chef #572376's Note:
I hear this is Delicious! This is the chocolate version of the white angel food cake I posted from the Rose's cookbook.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup sifted cake flour
- 4 tablespoons cocoa
- 1 1/3 cups sugar, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 11 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- 3Sift flour, cocoa and 1/3 cup sugar 5 times.
- 4Add salt to egg whites and beat until stiff.
- 5Add cream of tartar to the egg whites and the balance of the sugar gradually, 1 Tablespoon at a time, beating until very stiff.
- 6Add vanilla.
- 7Fold in the flour mixture a little at a time.
- 8Pour batter into a 9" tube pan and bake for 15 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- 9Reduce heat to 300 degrees Fahrenheit to finish baking.
- 10Total baking time is about 1 hour.
- 12Combine egg whites, water, vanilla, cream of tartar, and sugar in upper part of a double boiler.
- 13Mix well, beat over heat until mixture stands up in peaks.
- 14If electric beater is used, bring water in lower part of double boiler to a rapid boil and beat for about 2 minutes.
- 15Remove from stove and beat 3 or 4 minutes at high speed until it stands in high peeks. Be careful not to scrape beater against bottom of pan as it will darken the mixture.
- 16Allow the mixture to cool, keeping it covered with a damp cloth to prevent a crust from forming.
- 17Cream butter thoroughly; add cocoa (use more cocoa if more intense flavor is desired) and salt.
- 18Have marshmallow mixture and butter at about same temperature and consistency before combining them (otherwise, frosting will have a tendency to separate or curdle).
- 19Keep cool, not cold. If frosting should curdle, add about 2 Tablespoons hot melted butter and beat well.
- 20Frost top and sides of cake.
Browse Our Top Fillings and Frostings Chocolate Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Fillings and Frostings Chocolate Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate Angel Food Cake With Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
Serving Size: 1 (226 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1086.5
- Calories from Fat 427
- Total Fat 47.5 g
- Saturated Fat 29.2 g
- Cholesterol 122.0 mg
- Sodium 332.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 151.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 117.5 g
- Protein 16.9 g