Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This was great for the first Seder. Cooking Light, March 2002.
- 4 large egg whites
- 1 dash salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 4 teaspoons water
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 2 cups fresh raspberries
- mint sprig (optional)
- chopped and toasted almond (optional)
- Preheat oven to 200º.
- PREPARE MERINGUE:.
- Cover a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Draw a 9" circle on paper.
- Turn paper over; secure with masking tape.
- Place egg whites and salt in a large bowl; beat with mixer at high speed until foamy.
- Add juice and vanilla; beat until soft peaks form.
- Add 3/4 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff peaks form.
- Spoon egg mixutres into 9" circle on prepared baking sheet.
- Shape meringue intoa nest with 1" slides using the back of a spoon.
- Bake for 1 hour.
- Turn oven off; cool merinugue in closed oven for 30 minutes.
- Carefully remove meringue from paper.
- PREPARE TOPPING:.
- Place chocolate and water in small microwave-safe bowl.
- Microwave at high speed 1 minute or until chocolate melts, stirring every 20 seconds.
- Arrange berries on top of meringue; drizzle with chocolate sauce.
- Garnish with mint sprigs and almonds, if desired.