Prep 20 mins
Cook 55 mins
A real heavenly and rich chocolate treat from the 50's It's still a real treat today
- 2 egg whites
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup chopped almonds
- 1 (4 ounce) hershey chocolate bars with almonds, or smaller bars to equal 4 ounces (German sweet chocolate can be substitued for a deeper chocolate taste)
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 300ºF, and Grease one 8 inch pie pan.
- Beat the egg whites, salt, and cream of tartar together until foamy; gradually beat in the sugar and 1/2 teaspoon of the vanilla.
- Beat on high speed until stiff and glossy.
- Fold in the chopped almonds.
- Spoon meringue into the prepared pan forming a slight nest.
- Bake at 300ºF for 50 to 55 minutes.
- Let cool completely.
- While the crust is baking, melt the German chocolate with the water; let cool until thickened, then Stir in the remaining 1 teaspoon of vanilla.
- Whip the whipping cream and fold into the cooled chocolate mixture.
- Pile into the cooled pie shell and chill.