Recipe by MarieRynr
Not only do you get surprising nuggets of caramel dotted around this cake, but a couple more bars melted down also make a truly scrumptious glossy icing.
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee granules
- 2 tablespoons cocoa
- 2 tablespoons hot water
- 6 ounces softened butter
- 6 ounces golden caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons golden syrup
- 8 ounces self raising flour
- 4 tablespoons milk
- 2 (50 g) chocolate-coated caramel nougat bars (I used Cadbury's)
For the Icing
- 2 (50 g) chocolate-coated caramel nougat bars
- 2 ounces butter
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 4 ounces icing sugar, sifted
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 180*C (350*F).
- Butter an 8 inch round tin and line it with baking parchment.
- Measure the coffee and cocoa into a cup, add the hot water and mix to a smooth paste.
- Put the butter,sugar, eggs, syrup, flour,milk and cocoa paste in a large mixing bowl and beat with a wooden spoon or electric beaters until smooth, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Break the caramel bars into sections and stir into the mixture.
- turn the mixture into the prepared tin and smooth the top.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, until top springs back when you press it lightly.
- Cool in the tin for 5 minutes,then turn out, peel off lining paper and leave to cool.
- To make the icing, break up the caramel bars and put them in a small pan with the butter and milk.
- Gently heat until smooth, stirring all the time.
- Remove from heat and stir in the icing sugar.
- (don't worry if it doesn't dissolve immediately, just keep stirring).
- Leave to cool until it thickens enough to leave a trail when you lift the spoon.
- Put the cake on a serving plate and spread the icing over the top, letting it fall softly down the sides, then leave to set.