Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is from the April 2007 (out in March) of Australian Super Food Ideas. Though I would never make it myself (diabetes) I thought it would be a good Easter idea. Preparation and cook time are estimated.
- 1 1⁄2 cups plain flour (sifted)
- 1⁄3 cup caster sugar
- 80 g butter (chopped)
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons water (chilled)
- 500 g miniature chocolate eggs (mini solid required)
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 395 g sweetened condensed milk (can)
- Preheat oven to 180 degree celsius.
- Grease a 3cm deep, 16.5cm x 26cm (base) slab pan.
- Line base and sides with baking paper, allowing a 2cm overhand on all 4 sides.
- Combine flour, sugar and butter in a food processor, process until mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Add egg yolk and cold water, process until mixture almost comes together.
- Using clean hands, press mixture into base of pan.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until light golden. Set aside to cool.
- Unwrap easter eggs. Place eggs over slice base to cover.
- Sprinkle with coconut.
- Drizzle condensed milk over the slice.
- Bake for 28 to 30 minutes or until edges are deep golden and centre is firm to the touch.
- Allow slice to cool completely in pan.
- Cut into pieces and serve.
- It was also suggested you could also try using a combination of milk, dark and or white chocolate easter eggs or brand varieties such as Violet Crumble or Cherry Ripe mini eggs.
Followed your recipe right on down & had an enjoyable time making this block of chocolate! I did, however, cut the pieces pretty small, figuring that anyone who really wanted a mega-hit of chocolate could have several! Thanks for the great idea! [Tagged & made in Please Review My Recipe]
Can I give 10 stars! Of course then I must decuct 10 as i believe my hips will gain the 10 inches. Oh this is lovely. I WAS making this for Christmas packages and thern did a taste test as did the family. Needless to say I need to make quite a bit more as it is just about gone! I did not have "Easter eggs" so use chunk chocolates broken up in place. This is so easy to put tohether and I love the way it looks when done. All gooey and slathered in chocolate. LOL Am making another batch this weekend to REALLY put aside for Christmas baskets. ok 2 batches. DS gf said she will takae a double dose. LOL
What a fun Easter dessert! I worried that the conversion was off - I used a 10x6 baking ban and the crust seemed the right thickness, but I didn't come close to using the specified amount of chocolate eggs or sweetened condensed milk. I cut my bars very small, about 1.5c squares as they are pretty rich with the condensed milk topping. My DH loved 'em!