I adopted this recipe from the Recipezaar account. I have not yet tried it out, but it looks very much like something I used to make. If you try this recipe before me, please leave comments as to how it was.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Arrange a large bamboo steamer or a large vegetable steamer over simmering water.
- 2Make sure it is large enough to hold the baking pan.
- 3Line a 9 inch square pan with waxed paper.
- 4Separate the eggs.
- 5Place the yolks in a large bowl along with the sugar and water.
- 6Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until the mixture has increased about three times in volume.
- 7Whisk together the flour and the baking powder; sift this over the egg mixture, and fold in gently.
- 8Blend in the extract.
- 9Whip the egg whites in a clean bowl to stiff, not dry, peaks.
- 10Fold into yolk base.
- 11Pour the batter into the prepared pan, and smooth out to edges.
- 12Rap the pan on the counter to get rid of large air bubbles.
- 13Place the pan into the steamer.
- 14Cover the top of the steamer with a kitchen towel, and place the lid on top; the towel will absorb any steam that collects on top from dripping onto the cake.
- 15Steam for about 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- 16Cool on a wire rack.
- 17Dust with confectioner's sugar.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chinese Steamed Cake
Serving Size: 1 (103 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 286.0
- Calories from Fat 35
- Total Fat 3.9 g
- Saturated Fat 1.2 g
- Cholesterol 158.6 mg
- Sodium 75.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 55.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 35.3 g
- Protein 6.8 g