Recipe by mianbao
I adopted this recipe from the Recipezaar account. I have not yet tried it out, but it looks very much like something I used to make. If you try this recipe before me, please leave comments as to how it was.
- 6 eggs
- 1 1⁄4 cups white sugar
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons water
- 1 1⁄2 cups cake flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1⁄4 cup confectioners' sugar, for dusting
Directions See How It's Made
- Arrange a large bamboo steamer or a large vegetable steamer over simmering water.
- Make sure it is large enough to hold the baking pan.
- Line a 9 inch square pan with waxed paper.
- Separate the eggs.
- Place the yolks in a large bowl along with the sugar and water.
- Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until the mixture has increased about three times in volume.
- Whisk together the flour and the baking powder; sift this over the egg mixture, and fold in gently.
- Blend in the extract.
- Whip the egg whites in a clean bowl to stiff, not dry, peaks.
- Fold into yolk base.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan, and smooth out to edges.
- Rap the pan on the counter to get rid of large air bubbles.
- Place the pan into the steamer.
- Cover the top of the steamer with a kitchen towel, and place the lid on top; the towel will absorb any steam that collects on top from dripping onto the cake.
- Steam for about 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- Dust with confectioner's sugar.