Recipe by TATYANA NGAI
We always make this soup when someone in my house is feeling under the weather. It's simple and very tasty.
Top Review by amirakl
I get requests for this soup when I have dinner parties. I add more of each ingredient to the chicken for more taste and add more water. The rice soaks up the water a lot and gets really thick otherwise. Great simple recipe!
- 3 cups jasmine rice
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 cup cooking oil
- 10 cups cold water
- 8 boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into thin strips
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup cooking oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse the jasmine rice in cold water.
- Transfer to a large stock pot.
- Sprinkle the 2 tsps. salt and shake mildly to combine.
- Add the 10 cups of cold water and 1/2 cup cooking oil and partially cover.
- Turn on stove to HIGH and bring the rice/water mixture to boil.
- Reduce heat to MEDIUM to MEDIUM/LOW and cook for 3 hours, stirring occasionally The soup will thicken over time; if too thick for your taste, add water and continue cooking.
- Meanwhile, combine chicken, 1/2 tsp salt, sugar, soy sauce, cornstarch and cooking oil and stir to cover chicken with marinade.
- Let chicken sit for at least 30 minutes to marinate.
- If you are marinating overnight, combine all but the oil and add the oil right before using in the soup.
- During the last 15 minutes, add chicken and stir around to cook, about 5-10 minutes.
- Serve in heat resistant bowl.