Prep 40 mins
Cook 32 mins
This is from Betty Crocker's Low-fat Cooking. I made it for a class once & it turned great, so I thought I would share...
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 lb ground turkey breast
- 1 cup chopped cabbage
- 1⁄2 cup shredded carrot
- 2 tablespoons green onions, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili paste or 1 tablespoon chili puree
- 1 tablespoon white wine
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 14 sheets phyllo dough
- 4 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 3⁄4 cup sweet and sour sauce
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in 10-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Cook turkey, cabbage, carrot and onions in oil about 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until turkey is no longer pink and vegetables are crisp-tender.
- Stir in chili paste.
- Mix wine and cornstarch; stir into turkey mixture.
- Cook uncovered, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened.
- Heat oven to 375 degreesF.
- Cut stack of phyllo sheets crosswise in half. Cover with waxed paper, then with damp towel to prevent them from drying out.
- Place 1 half-sheet of phyllo on flat surface. Brush with small amount of oil. Top with second half-sheet of phyllo.
- Place about 2 tablespoons turkey mixture on short end of phyllo; shape mixture into about 4-inch log.
- Roll up phyllo and turkey mixture.
- Twist phyllo 1 inch from each end to make firecracker shape.
- Place on ungreased cookie sheet.
- Repeat with remaining phyllo and turkey mixture.
- Brush firecrackers with remaining oil.
- Bake 18 to 22 minutes or until phyllo is crisp and golden brown.
- Serve with sweet-and-sour sauce.
I did play with this recipe a little to suit our tastes but we loved it. I added a little oyster sauce, sesame oil, sherry but no wine, and a sprinkle of mirin. I also added a little extra chili garlic sauce. My family loved these. They are easy to make as well. Thanks for the recipe.