Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
Great snack, with an Asian twist.
Make and share this Chinese Crackerjacks recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 whole star anise, broken into points
- 6 whole cloves
- 2 teaspoons szechwan pepper
- 2 cups mixed nuts, toasted
- Blend the sugar, salt, pepper and cinnamon in a bowl.
- Finely grind the star anise, cloves and Szechwan peppercorns in a spice grinder.
- Strain through a fine mesh sieve to eliminate the husks, the combine with the sugar mixture.
- Heat a large heavy skillet, preferably cast iron, over high heat until hot enough to evaporate a bead of water on contact.
- Add the nuts and toss until they are hot to the touch, about a minute.
- Reduce the heat if needed to prevent scorching.
- Sprinkle the nuts with half the seasoning mixture and shak the pan until the sugar melts and turns a dark caramlized brown, about a minute.
- Add the remaining mixture and continue shaking the pan until the sugar melts again and coats the nuts.
- (Do not use a spatula or a spoon for this process because the sugar wil caramelize onto it instead of the nuts.) Immediately turn the nuts onto a foil-lined baking sheet.
- Use yoru fingers to separate the nuts when cool enough to handle, then let them cool completely.
- Store in a tightly sealed, clean, dry glass jar.