Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
I bought some very nice, very expensive, chilli jam, and decided there had to be a cheaper way!! great on cold meat, steaks, with cheese, on crackers, unlimited potential!!
- 2 lbs yellow onions
- 2 ounces butter (approx)
- 6 small chilies (or to taste)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder (or fresh)
- 1 dash soy sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- in a heavy bottomed pan, (e. g. cast iron) fry onion in butter on low for about 15 mins, stirring frequently.
- Dont let them brown.
- Add chilli and garlic and continue cooking for another 15mins.
- Add sugar, stir for about 15 mins, allowing the mixture to brown slightly.
- Turn off heat, but keep stirring so it doesnt burn.
- Keep in fridge.
- Havent worked out the storage time yet; didnt last long enough.
This is a very tasty jam I can see lots of uses for. I used 2 chipoltes peppers in adobo instead of the chiles. Thank you for sharing your recipe!